[Coco] Serial Mouse

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Sep 11 22:34:46 EDT 2008

On Thursday 11 September 2008, Becker, Gary wrote:
>I hate to post this question on this forum, but I do not know where else
>to find answers.
>

>I am trying to get a Microsoft type serial mouse working with NitrOS-9
>using the JoyDrv_6551M.sb driver. At first, it seems to work, but within
>15 seconds the mouse would freeze, never to start working again unit I
>rebooted. I looked through the code and noticed the UART initialization
>is set to 8 bits. That is correct for a Logitech type serial mouse, but
>the Microsoft type uses 7 bit communication. I fixed this issue and now
>it runs for almost a minute before locking up. I am pretty sure there is
>some type of communication error and the system cannot recover from the
>error.

There is an init error in the 3.2.6 code, and possibly in the cvs code, that I
think I have fixed.

Comment; I think you'll find the M$ mouse is also an 8 bit mouse because it
sends 2 stop bits, a 7n2 data format.  Just like the logitek, which is what
I'm using.

I have walked around in that code somewhat, and have managed to put together a
driver that auto switches modes the first time it gets the 4th data packet
the logitek uses for the middle button on a 3 button mouse.

That code was sent upstream to go into the cvs, but I have NDI if it has
actually been accepted.

If you can handle a copy of the srcs and the module I have at your private
address, I'll fwd them.  I know it works for the logitek "DexXa" mouse I have
and it should work with the M$ mouse of that same vintage also.

One caveat, my rs232 pack is a home made dual pack, with the 2nd chipset
addressed at $FF6C, whereas the std rs232 pack is accessed at $FF68.  So
you'll need to fix that src back to $FF68 & rebuild, or do the piggy back 2nd
channel, its pretty easily done.

>My question, is anyone using this driver with a Deluxe RS-232 Pak? If
>so, do you see any of the same behavior?

That is what prompted me do dig into it in the first place, Gary.