[Coco] Linux RBF filesystem support

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Mon Oct 27 08:39:13 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 22:29 -0400, Charlie wrote:

> Hey, as the father of an autistic child I don't appreciate you throwing
> around the retarded thing as an insult.You can't begin to understand the
> pain a parent feels daily when faced with the reality of a mental disorder.
> If you think its a waste of your money...fine. Who gives a shit about you
> anyway.... But please find a more intelligent way to insult people.

1. If your kid is a drooling mess who can't speak, there's no point in
wasting resources in the hope that one day, maybe, they'll be able to
"contribute to society" by working at McDonald's.  In other words, if
there's cognitive impairment, we can't fix that, so why do we bother?

2. If you kid has actually got working gray matter, then let them sink
or swim.  The ones with mettle will swim, and will learn valuable
lessons along the way.  The ones who make it through school,
post-secondary education, etc. will be equipped to handle the REAL
world, which will not give them any special consideration.  They need to
learn to handle their "differentness" without help.

I "suffer" from Asperger's Syndrome; I grew up with it in the 80s and
90s, before the every-kid-has-got-a-disorder craze kicked in (it started
with ADD and Ritalin, and then new kid on the block is autism).  I knew
that I was an odd one, but I hid it well, and I didn't know what the
cause was until an English shrink spotted the signs (and she didn't spot
them until, well, we started sleeping together -- you get pretty good at
playing the stupid social games that "norms" play, even if you don't
understand their purpose).  It's not like there's anything anyone can do
about it, but it's always good to know that you're not a latent
psycho-killer, you just think differently, and value different things,
and you're not the only one.

Anyway, this is not meant to turn biographical.

Somehow, in this country, equal-opportunity has turned into
equal-everything, which is a sad transformation.  Education is one of
these areas that turns my stomach -- face it people, some people are
just smarter than others.  But as George Carlin pointed out, we are
afraid to call people "stupid" in this country -- everyone's got some
sort of "learning disability".  We're trying to squeeze pegs of all
sizes into the round hole, and the end result is a continual
dumbing-down of our high-school graduates.  It's EMBARRASSING.
Special-needs kids fall into this category, and I stated in my two
bullet-points above.  Either you've got the skills to survive in the
world as it is, or you don't.  If you're coddled, you never develop the
skills.  Ultimately it's a self-defeating tactic.

Palin's baby Trig is especially disturbing.  She WILLFULLY brought a
child into the world, knowing that it would present a burden rather than
a contribution to society.  She did this because she believes that an
invisible man in the sky wants her to do this, and if she doesn't do
what he says, she's going to burn in eternal fire.  And now she's trying
to say that it's society's responsibility to help people carry that
burden..... am I the only one who is dumbfounded?

It's bad enough that the government asks us to pay for other people's
children to begin with.  We're dealing with population pressures as it
is, and people who can't keep it in their pants get TAX DEDUCTIONS.  And
they want to increase those deductions!  Honestly, if you want to
reproduce, be sure you can afford to cover the costs of the kid.  Don't
make me eat the difference, thankyouverymuch.  (And don't get me started
on the welfare system, where we PAY people to reproduce..)

And, back on point, if you have a disabled kid, don't make me pay for
self-defeating coddling programs.

C.