[Coco] XRoar emulator for Amiga

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Thu Oct 9 22:50:24 EDT 2008

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
> On Thursday 09 October 2008, wdg3rd at comcast.net wrote:
> >From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>

> >> Ah yes, Terry would have explored that quite well for our amusement.
> >
> >Indeed he has.  Most explicitly in his novel _The Truth_.
>
> Which I don't recall reading, but if I notice it the next time I'm in the
> bookstore (probably looking for a Sketchup 4 Dummies book), I'll try and
> remember it, sounds like a good read.  Thanks Ward.

It involves the introduction of moveable type printing presses into Ankh-Morpork and the start of the first newspaper there.  (We get a view of Mr. Vimes from the outside for a change).  The specific bit involves the employment of trolls at the recycling center.  Owned by Harry King, formerly known as Piss Harry but lately as King of the Golden River:

"They didn't wonder what happened to the full buckets, but Harry King had learned something that can be the key to great riches: there is very little, however disgusting, that isn't used somewhere in some industry.  There are people out there who _want_ large quantities of ammonia and saltpeter.  If you can't sell it to the alchemists then the farmers probably want it.  If even the farmers don't want it then there is nothing, _nothing_, however gross, that you can't sell to the tanners."

and on the next page (150 in the US hardcover):

"A small door within the large gates was opened by a troll.  Harry was very forward-looking when it came to employing the nonhuman races, and had been among the first employers in the city to give a job to a troll.  As far as organic substances were concerned, they had no sense of smell."

For Terry's inspiration on Harry's background, this is the best link I've found:

http://eastlondonhistory.com/toshers-and-mudlarks-on-the-thames/
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

"What I know [about the art of the sword] boils down to this:  If you see a guy running at you with a sword, put two rounds in his chest to slow him down, then one into his brain to finish him off".  Aaron Allston, _Sidhe Devil_

The two halves of the ruling Party are arguing over who gets to be the Top this time.  Either wins, Top or Bottom, they both win by the situation.  For us individuals, BOHICA.