[Coco] Bluetooth on the Model 100 - any chance of getting this to work on the COCO?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Nov 25 08:15:48 EST 2008

On Tuesday 25 November 2008, Rogelio Perea wrote:
>I assume that it would be far easier on a RS232 pak equipped CoCo - there
>was once an article on The Rainbow called "The Forgotten Chip" and it showed
>how to add an ACIA chip into the CoCo to allow for better serial port
>communications under OS9.
>
>A BlueTooth CoCo... that'd be neat!

I used that 'forgotten chip' kit in a coco2 at the tv station for about 14
years.  In fact I still have the machine, they gave it back to me when its
companion production video switcher was replaced.

>-=[ R ]=-
>
>On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 10:18 PM, John <johnguin at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I guess I missed this last year so I apologize if this has been discussed
>> already.
>>
>> Here's the link:
>> http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/11/bluetoothing_a_trash_80.html
>>
>> I'm not up on BT: can someone who knows the hardware see if this is
>> possible
>> on the Coco?

With the forgotten chip installed but not connected to the back panel din, and
possibly with additional address decoding, a definite yes.

An interesting idea as I'm presently using usb extension cable/hubs for that,
so I can print from the coco by listing the file to /p.  The data comes up
here for capture, and is massaged into something to drive a Brother
Econo-laser printer by cups/ghostscript, and sent back down the same cable to
the coco's desk, and works great.

But I dislike the long cables as they are an EMP antenna, and because the coco
stuff is not on the same AC circuit with this surge protected, UPS fed
circuitry in this room, the exposure to surge damage is significant in a
noisy local thunderstorm.