[Coco] RGB --> VGA for CoCo: A success story

Sat Nov 15 14:04:44 EST 2008

On Nov 15, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Steven Hirsch wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2008, J.P. Samson wrote:
>
>> On Nov 15, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Steven Hirsch wrote:
>>> This morning I finally got motivated and built an adapter to run
>>> RGB video from my CoCo 3 into the Wei-Ya ACV-011 RGB-->VGA
>>> converter.  I'm pleased to report that it works quite well!
>>
>> Any plans to do a write-up on how you put this together, Steven?
>> How's the quality?  Have you ever used Roy's converter to be able
>> to compare results?
>
> There's not a whole lot to write up...  It's just a matter of
> building a cable with a 10-pin ribbon cable header on one end.  If
> you are not sharing the converter with other classic machines, you
> just splice the other end to the header supplied with the converter
> board.  The signals are just 1:1, connect Gnd, R, G, B, H-sync and V-
> sync and you're good to go.  The pinout for the bottom of the CoCo 3
> is widely available.

Nice and easy, that's for sure.  I'd guess that Roy's converter does a
better job, since it is specifically designed for the CoCo 3 and
includes a filter to absorb some of the vertical banding that is an
artifact of the computer's RGB output.  Roy's adapter has difficulty
clearly resolving some color combinations, though, making such text
hard to read.

I found a link describing the board you used:
http://www.weiya.com.tw/products_detail.asp?le=english&fid=111&pid=118&top_fid=

-- JP