[Coco] RGB --> VGA for CoCo: A success story

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 13:54:30 EST 2008

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008, J.P. Samson wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Steven Hirsch wrote:
>> This morning I finally got motivated and built an adapter to run RGB video
>> from my CoCo 3 into the Wei-Ya ACV-011 RGB-->VGA converter.  I'm pleased to
>> report that it works quite well!
>
> Any plans to do a write-up on how you put this together, Steven?  How's the
> quality?  Have you ever used Roy's converter to be able to compare results?

There's not a whole lot to write up...  It's just a matter of building a
cable with a 10-pin ribbon cable header on one end.  If you are not
sharing the converter with other classic machines, you just splice the
other end to the header supplied with the converter board.  The signals
are just 1:1, connect Gnd, R, G, B, H-sync and V-sync and you're good to
go.  The pinout for the bottom of the CoCo 3 is widely available.

The converter board has a PC mounted power jack for the wall-wart and a
female VGA connector for the monitor.  No assembly required except for a
box if you so choose.

I have seen Roy's converter on a web page, but was not aware of it when I
started the project to replace all my aging/dying CRTs.  Also, I have the
impression that it's specific for the CoCo and I need something that would
work with any 15Khz. analog RGB source.  I did have to build a little
board to convert digital RGBI from the C128 to analog RGB.  It just sits
between the Commodore and the Wei-Ya converter (I do have to switch plugs
when going from the C128 to the CoCo).

Steve