[Coco] f83 for the CoCo, Update and a laundry-list of questions.

Bill Barnes da3m0n_slay3r at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 9 23:08:08 EST 2008

While I won't say that this would be the ideal solution (Im unaware of the disk change signal being sent back to the disk controllers we are used to on the CoCo, let alone made available to an OS or user program) but as a typical RSDOS diskette, if memory serves me right, doesn't use all of track 17, what about one sector being used to hold a "disk ID"... only problem is the generation of one that is completely unique to a colletion of disks. I would imagine the overhead for reading one single sector, pulling an ID code from it and comparing it to one in memory for the "open" disk in that particular drive would be less than keeping multiples of the whole FAT table. This could lead to a "cache"ing of the who directory in the future.

I reserve the right to be in complete error on the above statements in regard to efficiency, overhead, and overall function.

-Later!   -WB-    -- BABIC Computer Consulting.