[Coco] the upshot from the optimizing BASIC code mail and a followon question

theother_bob theother_bob at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 8 14:44:11 EST 2008

In practical programming, speed gained by compiled vs. interpreted Basic would be significantly dependent on the actual function of the program as well as how well optimized the code is (both interpreted and post-compiled optimization matter.) Programs that would gain the most from being compiled would be those using simpler Basic commands whereas programs that use a lot of more advanced functions (graphics commands that already rely on longer ML loops for example) would not see as much gain. The simpler the function, the more "overhead per instruction" used by an interpreter.

I seem to recall (but could be imagining) that Basic compilers for the CoCo claimed "up to hundreds of times faster" speed increase... always with the key phrase "up to,"

Bob