[Coco] CoCo 3 patch question

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon Nov 24 21:07:02 EST 2008

Does anyone know if the CoCo patches the Disk ROM if it's available?

The reason I ask is that I'm developing an embedded system EPROM
which poses as Disk BASIC by having the "DK" bytes at the top.  From
M.E.S.S., a CoCo 1 or 2 boots into my ROM fine and shows a title
screen, but from the CoCo 3 modes, my title text has about 5 or 6
bytes of garbage in it, which tells me something is changing part of
the area where my text is stored within the ROM.

I tried starting my ROM with:
   fcc "DK"
   jmp Start
   fzb 256  (CCASM's way of filling with 256 0's)
Start nop

And this works in the emulator, but I'm not sure what OTHER bytes are
altered by the CoCo 3 patch routines.  This leads me to ask yet
another question... how does the CoCo 3 (if it's patching Disk BASIC)
deal with the other DOS brands?

Anyway, I've created a nice ROM which turns a CoCo into an embedded
server.  It boots up hands-free-ready to accept MP3 cassette files or
those sent by cocotape.exe from a PC, or a real tape deck, etc.  As
soon as the file is over, it executes.  This allows the control
program to be uploaded just by sending the audio stream into the CoCo
once. If you hit RESET it runs the control program again (or last
program uploaded) instead of resetting the CoCo back to a hard
start.  The control program can be a game or any other single-record
ML tape file.  I've been sending games to the remote CoCo for my kid
to play and all he's doing is toggling the power button when he wants
a new one sent.  The game starts up automatically.  Talk about
nice.  The serious side to this project is that no keyboard or
monitor is required if the plans are to do an emedded project.  Just
send power to the CoCo board and run a cassette cable to an MP3
player, select (I'll call it control.mp3) and walk away.  Or connect
a laptop speaker, type cocotape control.bin, and walk away.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com