[Coco] cocotape.exe progress

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Nov 23 01:52:01 EST 2008

Guys, when I'm done with this command, there'll be no need for a
casout.exe or .cas converter for CLOADing stuff into your CoCo from a
PC.  It's obviouslty not a disk drive replacement but it serves its
purpose for sure.  Sometimes an emulator just doesn't cut it, and
there's a lot of CoCo users out there without a disk drive who want
to fire some old games up that are only available to them from their PC.

I just finished the single-segment ML converter that takes a
PC-stored .bin file and creates the CoCo tape audio stream.  This
involved peeking at the start and end headers (5 bytes each) and
putting that info in the tape's filename header block.  The rest of
the file is one huge block that gets split into 255-byte blocks for
the tape file.

Still to come, the multi-segment .bin files (usually ones that
auto-EXEC or load into different places in RAM).  I'll have to
examine these .bin files to detect what kind they are to keep from
having to use command-line switches all the time to force gapped or
contiguous files for the CoCo.  Probably just counting the # of
blocks will do.  3 blocks (start/seg/end) should be a single-segment
file and >3 should be multi-segment (start/seg1/seg2/end).  We'll see
how it goes.

Also done are ASCII and tokenized BASIC programs.  Again, the PC file
already has to be in tokenized format for that to work.  ASCII BASIC
can be an original CoCo ASCII file or a text-edited file, like from an IDE.  :)

I just CLOADM'ed bandito.bin, bandit.bin, and wof.bin (flight sim)
which were single-segment files and they worked perfect.  Tons of
.bin files are on my archive DVD and can also be extracted from
hundreds of .dsk files using wimgtool.exe and other .dsk managers.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com