[Coco] the upshot from the optimizing BASIC code mail and a followon question

John johnguin at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 6 19:54:55 EST 2008

Say all,

First, a shameless plug: I got a good blog article out of the BASIC
optimization question I asked earlier.  The full article is here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin/archive/2008/11/06/how-my-old-microsoft-8-bit
-basic-coding-skills-caused-me-to-fail-a-code-review.aspx.

The summary is modern coding conventions tend to instantiate variables
immediately before their use rather than at the beginning of a program in
BASIC.  Following the "old" guidelines is verboten.

The follow on question.

Does anyone know about how much time was consumed by the interpretation
process relative to actually executing the code?  I seem to remember
compiled BASIC programs running 200% or more faster than interpreted BASIC,
but I'm wondering if anyone ever quantified the timing.

Thanks all,
John