[Coco] AWK - a wonderful language WAS: Re: Python on the CoCo 3?

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sat May 24 20:59:30 EDT 2008

From: "Stephen H. Fischer" <sfischer1 at mindspring.com>

> From: "Jim Hickle" <jlhickle at yahoo.com>
>
> > Among the languages I've actually used, the best name
> > is AWK. When you consider my skills as a programmer,
> > though, a better name might be "ACK!".
>
> I second this. AWK is my favorite for text processing.
>
> But then there are many Perl people that always pop up when ever AWK is
> mentioned.

I'll use either, depends on the job.  Maintenance, I'll use which one is already in service.  Starting from scratch I'll use AWK inside a shell script or Perl for a standalone.  Mox nix, they're both great tools.  Few here are children though some of you were in the early days of the Color Computer before the 'net was available.

My main language is of course the Bourne shell and its descendants.  Been using it since (slightly before because I had a customer working the Beta) Tandy started shipping Xenix in 01/83.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

These histrionics were probably unnecessary, since there was no reason to think anybody would be watching us with more than casual interest until I made my first move to follow Buchanon's trail, in London.  Still, somebody might check back this far later, and I always feel that if you're going to play a part, you might as well play it all the way, at least in public -- and it's hard to tell what's public and what isn't, these electronic days.
Donald Hamilton, _The Devastators_, 1965