[Coco] Python on the CoCo 3?

Alex Evans alxevans at concentric.net
Thu May 22 23:50:41 EDT 2008

On  22  May 2008, at 2:42 PM, Roger Taylor wrote:

> At 06:30 PM 5/22/2008, you wrote:
>> Here's something I saw that you guys might think about. I haven't
>> really looked in to it considering I haven't the motivation, much
>> less the hardware to do it on.
>>
>> Who cares about Java... Why not Python?

Sounds interesting, but 64k of code probably will make it need a
little more slimming down for the CoCo.

> Hopefully they will either rename the language or another will
> derive from it.  To me the name Python sounds a little immature for
> a language title, just like Ruby which I assume was named to
> attempt to steal some of the Perl audience.  I'm just rambling...
> who knows where these names come from.
>
> And just to be fair, I'm sure my CCASM assembler sounds like an old
> mid 70's horror film.  :)

To make it sound even more immature, the name comes from Monty
Python's Flying Circus.  You have to name a language something.
Considering how widely used it is already, I seriousply doubt that
anyone is going to rename it.