[Coco] BASIC compiler for Rainbow IDE ?

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Thu May 15 01:27:30 EDT 2008

At 11:29 PM 5/14/2008, you wrote:
>Roger, my understanding of what you are planning to do is unclear.
>
>In any case, please review what I did with "Urbane".
>
>Just the two additions of longer unique variable names and line
>numbers not required makes DECB a much better language.
>
>As there was no messages to me about "Urbane" (NONE), I did not
>follow up with what I realized could be done.
>
>This was despite the large number of downloads. You reset the
>counters at one point so I have no real understanding as to their real numbers.
>
>Stephen H. Fischer
>
>P.S. I think that I have on a disk somewhere a DECB like compiler
>that may be similar to what you are planning.

I'm speaking of a BASIC to machine language compiler with 6809 or
6309 support.  Not just standard CoCo BASIC could be compiled but
that with longer variable names, no line numbers, labeled lines, etc.

 From what I understand, the Urbane processor program reads in
another enhanced BASIC program and turns it into a standard BASIC
program, am I correct?  So our two systems are completely
different.  The end result is still a BASIC program, which is great,
but a compiler would turn it into optimized machine code.

My versions of CLS, PCLS, PRINT, HPRINT, LINE, HLINE, HDRAW, etc.
would be a LOT faster than what BASIC can do.  It will be almost like
coding in raw assembly.  I'm first going to set up CCASM procedures
that mimick many of the commands, and go from there.  An assembler
naturally will turn the compiled .asm file(s) into LOADMable binaries.

I aim to produce stand-alone programs that only include commands that
are used, and no ROM calls will be made.