[Coco] Programs for NitrOS-9

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu May 1 05:12:42 EDT 2008

On Thursday 01 May 2008, Willard Goosey wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:59:47AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Wednesday 30 April 2008, Willard Goosey wrote:
>>
>> In that case, I'd suggest some syscall/get/set/stat got changed and
>> is no longer compatible.
>
>...Or one of the windint calls.  There were some problems with Window
>Writer around NitrOS 3.0 or 3.1, but Boisy fixed the problem there.

Never had a copy of Window Writer, so no knowledge of that.

>> Unforch, I can't run multiview on my machine now as all the stuff
>> I'd cut into cc3io, co80 and friends was apparently thrown away

>Plus, it's pretty obvious that the icon editor was pushing BASIC-09 to
>its limits.  Add in the pain inherent in debugging a BASIC-09 MV
>app...

No more painful than any other language IMO.

>I looked the code over myself, and decided I wasn't going to
>mess with it...

This is IcnEdit?  It's 3 screens full of icons limitation got in the way, and
one would need more than 128k to expand that.  But I think it might be
doable.  One could also use more than 1 icon directory since the .AIF can
point anyplace.  I think I had used that before my drive upchucked.

>> I thought so at the time, :-) And it is a pleasure, when the mouse
>> click actually registers where the pointer is, and the pointer moves
>> one pixel at a time when you move it.  Very very frustrating when it
>> doesn't.
>
>I know, I know.  But it seems like such a waste to hook a *mouse* up
>to an rs-232 port!

Not if that cartridge has a stacked chip dual port setup like mine does, and I
guarantee you will never use a more stable mouse.  The problem today is that
those mice haven't been made in quite a few years now, which represents a
wide open need for a USB port setup in order to be able to use what is
available today.   I have very carefully guarded that old 3 button DeXxa
mouse for many years.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)