[Coco] [coco] the old grey ghost lives!!

RJRTTY at aol.com RJRTTY at aol.com
Sat May 10 00:01:17 EDT 2008

People,

I dusted my old 64k  coco1 off and attached the two gray drives
I bought back in 1983 with the  color computer logo on them
for about $300 apiece using a fresh
cable and  they work!!    I have done several disk formats and
backups in  both directions with verify on without a single error.....   :))

Those drives were specified to have only a 5 year  lifespan.
It seems to me since they are belt driven that at least
the  belts would go bad by now.

I also acquired an identical  drive from the auction at the fest
and it works too!   I am going  to connect four of these jewels
and make a custom four connector cable just  for this setup.
I will have a professional looking four drive system to  display
and demonstrate to visitors who want to see a REAL  computer.

This system will also feature a gray multipak interface  with
the wordpak II 80 col card and display,  a custom made
1 meg  expanded memory card I made in 1984,  and a
speech sound  pak.   The system will have two monitors, one
for the wordpak and  the other for the standard composite output
that the old coco 1 has been  modified to deliver.   The setup
will also sport an HJL keyboard,  dmp110 printer, and an
internal DAC modified to have 8 bit  resolution.

This machine will have a permanent place in my abode  to
remind me of the excitement and hours of programming
satisfaction it  gave me when it was new..... what great fun.

Roy

favorites at AOL Food.