[Coco] FD-501 controller not working with CoCo3?

Rich Carreiro rlcarr at rlcarr.com
Thu May 8 12:58:28 EDT 2008

As a born-again CoCo'er :), I've been pulling stuff
out of the attic and acquiring stuff on eBay.

One of the things I have is a FD-501 controller.  I don't
have any FD-501 drives, though.  What I do have (among
some older, single-drive, vertical units) is a FD-500
drive unit.

Anyhow, when I connect it all together, the floppy works
fine with a CoCo2.  But when I try using a CoCo3, things
simply don't work.

I get the Disk Extended Color BASIC prompt fine, but when
I do any disk operation, the drive turns on, spins for
a couple of seconds (with no "gronking"), and then turns
off followed by the computer giving me an ?IO ERROR.

Any idea what may be going on?

Rich Carreiro                            rlcarr at rlcarr.com