[Coco] communicating to the outside world

Anthony Revelle arevelle at verizon.net
Sun Mar 23 12:12:51 EDT 2008

> Far as I know, there is no way to do that in MESS, whatever flavor.
> None
> of the emulators I've seen emulator the RS-232 pack which would be
> needed for your application.
>
> The latest JV / Collyer Coco3 emulator has, I think, the capability to
> include PC assembly code. Theoretically, you could write your own
> program in Intel assembly to interface with the JV emulator gaining
> access to the PC modem.

 From what I've been following on this list, it appears that to
exchange files from one source to the other is by loading disk images
and then physically transferring them to a CoCo's drive and vise-
versa. This, unfortunately, won't work in my setup as Macs have no
floppy drives, only cd burners. They do, however have USB and
Firewire ports and I have used USB to RS-232 and USB to parallel
adapters successfully to communicate with other devices, namely PLCs
and engravers.
I can obtain a USB based 3.5 floppy, but I don't know if I could
format it so that a CoCo could read it. I understand that the PC
based emulators can read and write CoCo formated disks, and I can
emulate Windows on the Mac, but whether an emulation of an emulation
of an emulation can format a USB based floppy, I don't know. But
enough rambling, I appreciate any help can get.
Thanks in advance,
Tony