[Coco] reliable CoCo floppy disk writing on PCs

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Mar 16 23:28:59 EDT 2008

Roger Taylor wrote:

> I just set up a spare Win98SE PC from scratch mainly for experimenting
> with what works best for writing CoCo disks from a PC.
>
> I'm trying to round up some group feedback on your success level with
> writing CoCo BASIC and OS-9 floppies from Windows.
>
> If you've had almost perfect results and the disks read back on the CoCo
> without the CoCo really knowing any difference, please let me know what
> tools you use, the BIOS setting for the 3.5" or 5.25" drive doing the
> writing, and any other details.
>
> Thanks

With Win98SE, a 3.5" drive, and nothing done to the BIOS other than
indicating the presence of a floppy drive, PORT.EXE and DSKINI.EXE
worked just fine. Any problems usually can be solved by formatting the
disk on the PC rather than the Coco.

With WinXP, a 3.5" drive, and nothing special in the BIOS, OmniFlop
(stand alone) and fdrawcmd.sys plus VCC work well. Again problems
usually are resolved by formatting on the PC.

Both the above have a normal floppy ribbon on the Coco with a 3.5" drive
as drive #1 mounted in a full height case and a 5.25" drive as #0.