[Coco] ka9q was Re: Coco Contiki

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Mar 6 08:34:07 EST 2008

On Thursday 06 March 2008, Willard Goosey wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 08:28:54AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> That will kill you, do it ASAP, strap all cart ports pin 8's together.
>
>Maybe tomorrow, if I don't have to work.  I don't want to play with a
>soldering iron when I'm this tired.
>
>> Yeah, but that was back in CS 101. :) And I missed it just like you
>> did.
>
>Yep, TCP/IP has been implemented, and is therefore of no interest to
>CS theory people. :-(
>
>I really envy Boisy.  For his Compiler class, he got to build a cross
>compiler for OS-9, and it compiles a BASIC!  Man, my prof would have
>smacked me for wanting to compile to a 6809, and if I'd mentioned
>BASIC, he probably would have shot me!
>
>>The amiga, and now linux, have taught me a lot.
>
>Yeah, me too.  Though for me, more the CoCo with OS-9 than the Amiga.
>I never really got into Amiga programming, don't have the docs.

I still do have all that, but the amiga boots funny, needing to do a quiet
warm reboot for every piece of hardware added to its resources.  Over the
years I had crafted quite a lengthy startup sequence to make it all work cuz
it has 64 megs of dram and a 68040 cpu, a picasso-II video card, 2 drive
interfaces and drives, a network card & lots of hard drive partitions cuz its
partition size limit was 4GB.  When the 30 GB drive failed, and had to be
warrantied, is when I discovered the backup program, Diavalo Pro, wasn't
backing up any file that had a file lock on it, so none of my stuff that made
it work was backed up.  To me, that was broken by design and unforgiveable,
the lock should have been released when EOF was reached, and the amiga got
carried to the basement for storage.  I was not about to spend 2 weeks
re-inventing that wheel, and linux (RH5.1) had by then shown it could run
from power failure to power failure, and was obviously the non-windows wave
of the future.  Put a UPS on it and it will run for years, and has here.

>> I need to do all the time needs done frequently, I'll commit it to a
>> bash script
>
>If you have to do it more than three times, build a script for it. :-)

Yup.

>You know, OS-9 shell scripts have some annoying limitations.  I think
>the worst is that gshell can't run them.
>
>Willard

Huh?  I'll have to check that out. Whatever shell I use, I don't recall that
being a problem.  To me, the biggest problem is the limited buffer size for
the command line, and/or any shell expansions.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)