[Coco] BASIC09!

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Mon Jun 23 05:27:50 EDT 2008

After further browsing in the library, I came across a nice fat book
of papers about computer programming languages.  That's always been
one of my interests, so I picked it up.

Unlike a lot of CS books, it had a fairly large section on BASIC.  One
of the papers was by one of the Dartmuth(sp?) profs who'd originally
created the language back in 1968.

He spent a lot of ink putting down all the various versions of his pet
language (esp. the microcomputer versions), including BASIC-09.

Then he tells us why: He's started his own company to sell his own
version of BASIC, True BASIC.

Which looks a lot like BASIC-09, but uglier and weaker.  In your face,
Prof!

He can't even write a parser that doesn't require "LET".  There's a
word for BASICs that require LET.  They're called loosers!

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard