[Coco] two other things..

Christopher Hawks chawks at dls.net
Wed Jul 9 20:05:41 EDT 2008

Chuck Youse said the following on 07/09/2008 03:10 PM:
> I'm not a uIP fan because of its rather unusual interface (the
> application is responsible for buffering data in case of retransmission,
> it's state-driven, etc.). It's meant for _very_ small uC environments,
> and a Coco 3 w/ OS-9 and 512K of RAM doesn't really qualify.  I'd be
> much more comfortable with something more like the traditional socket
> interface, in the form of a file manager.  Don't sell the Coco short!

	Remember 8k would be very large for a file manager and I doubt that it would
be that small. I've been thinking about a port of uIP for NitrOS-9 (with some
additions to make the interface cleaner). The thought of a file manager is neat
however, and I'll consider that as well. (I've had some experience with TCP/IP
(wrote a stack for OS-9/68000) and file managers (wrote an ISO9660 file manager
for NitrOS-9 and OS-9/68000).

> As for hardware, SiLabs makes a chip called the CP2200 which is an
> integrated 10baseT MAC/PHY.  Interestingly, it probably will require
> very little in the way of bus interfacing to the Coco.  Its only
> drawback is that it has odd requirements on the magnetics, 1:2.5 turns
> ratio on the transmit lines -- but that's just a minor annoyance rather
> than a serious problem.  I've got three of the chips and three
> compatible jacks handy, so I'll give it a whirl.

	That'll give me some hardware to talk to!

--
Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft