[Coco] HD floppy controller update: success!

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat Jul 5 12:35:45 EDT 2008

Hey Chuck,  this is good stuff you're working on.

IMHO, I think a High Density CoCo OS-9 disk should be formatted the same
as an MM/1 HD floppy.  The MM/1 uses the WD37C65, and 33 256-byte
sectors per track.  I don't have any info immediately at hand about gap
length.  In the MM/1 technical manual the "rates" parameter to dmode is
$10.  Perhaps this is passed directly to the FDC, and the 37C65
datasheet might give more specific info.

If you do decide to manufacture some boards, my temptation level would
go sky high.  Cost would be a factor for me.  PCB only option would be
cool.  But I may have to download Eagle and see if I can fab a
double-sided board.  I have a homebrew CNC drill that I've done far too
little with so far.  I wonder where I can get ahold of the 82077AA.

Nice work!

JCE