[Coco] HD floppy controller update: success!

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Sat Jul 5 11:14:39 EDT 2008

So after working pretty much dawn till dusk yesterday, and a couple more
hours this morning, I've proven that the CoCo 3 at 1.78MHz can indeed
read high-density floppies with the 82077AA-1!  No HALT required!  I've
successfully read sectors from all parts of a PC-formatted disk (and
verified the data).

Of course, for the Coco 256-byte sectors are MUCH preferred; ideally 36
256-byte sectors per track.  Has anyone ever heard of such a format?  I
could use some gap length hints.  Also, does anyone know how I might
format such a disk under Linux?  setfdprm/fdformat doesn't seem to do
the trick (fdformat ignores the setfdprm parameters... dumb)

C.