[Coco] Blast from the past!

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Jan 31 12:26:50 EST 2008

On 30 Jan 2008 at 23:13, Mark Marlette wrote:

> This makes the third person that had strong ties to the CoCo in some
> shape or form to deal with us at Cloud-9. This person worked with
> Terry Ritter, another customer, when he came out of school to help him
> with the review / repair of the VDG. This was in the early days. Terry
> later went on to create the 6809.

Terry Ritter and Joel Bonny I believe were the primary desing engineers
behind the 6809 MPU. While at Motorola I never knew Ritter or the design
team but had many dealings with some of the design engineers in SPS for
later processor designs (HC05 and HC11) as well as other proprietary
ASICs for paging products. I used to know about half a dozen or so
including some top level managers in SPS.

One thing I said to one was the biggest mistake they made on the 68HC11
was not to include the fourth pointer register(U). That would have made the
HC11 a lot more powerful.

There used to be a bunch of real sharp design engineers back in the late
70's and through the 80's. I bet you they could tell you a bunch of stories.
That was before HDL and CAD systems were readily available. Most ICs
back then were breadboarded first to get the concept of what it should do
and functionality. Man I can only imagine what a 6800/09 or even the 6847
breadboards would looked like.

james