[Coco] DLOAD (was: Re: Stupid Cassette Port Tricks, (was: Re: Coco and .WAV files))

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Wed Jan 30 22:27:42 EST 2008

So, what's the scoop on DLOAD anyway?  I realize that the Network 2
system uses the cassette port and CLOAD/CSAVE, and I take it that DLOAD
uses the bit-banger port.

I did a quick search through the contents of this mail list since
sometime in 2006 in Thunderbird for DLOAD and was able to glean and/or
surmise the following:

1.  It is patched out of the CoCo 3 ROM (probably still present in the
actual ROM, but overwritten in RAM on boot by Super ECB stuff?)
2.  It has a reputation as being somehow problematic, difficult to use,
or simply obscure and undocumented?
3.  Nevertheless it can be used and has reportedly been used by at least
two individuals to copy programs to a CoCo from a PC.
4.  Roger Taylor has put high-speed serial transfer code into the
Rainbow IDE that can be loaded onto the CoCo (1, 2) using the DLOAD
command, though the code, once loaded, has nothing more to do with DLOAD
and may not be usable without knowing the secret handshake.  :-)

Questions that still remain for me:
Why is it not documented (or is it documented somewhere other than the
"Getting Started/Going Ahead" books?
How was it meant to be used?  Is there a corresponding DSAVE(M) command
in the CoCo's ROM?  Is there some special protocol that needs to be
observed?  What is involved in using it to copy programs to a CoCo from
a PC (aside from a long wait), and can it be used in the reverse direction?
How does it compare with the cassette port in terms of speed and
reliability?  If the cassette port runs at 1500baud, that may indeed be
faster than the CoCo's ROM routines can reliably run the bit-banger.
OTOH, the serial port may have an edge in terms of versatility, and you
can use an ordinary cable.

JCE