[Coco] [coco] moving files on bootup

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Wed Jan 30 05:14:17 EST 2008

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 12:44:37AM -0600, George Ramsower wrote:
> Willard,
>
> As I said, the files will be changing.
> This means some will be deleteted and some will be added or changed.
> Therefore, a script to copy files would be constantly changing and will
> require my attention. This is not an option. It has to be automatic. Since
> the ram disk will start empty,thte routine should  just copy a directory to
> the ramdisk upon startup.

You can still do that in a script, with shell+'s wildcards and one of
the improved copy commands, as Bob says.  Or a small BASIC-09 program
could do it.

A simple test to see if your shell+ has working wildcards is to say
:echo *

If that works like an unformatted "dir" then you're in business.

> The reason I need this is for speed. The ram disk, as we all know, is a lot
> faster.  This coco does not have a hard dirve and therefore, it SO SLOW

Been there, done that.  I have to admit, though, that updating the
floppy descriptors to use a 6 ms seek time instead of a 30 ms seek
time, helps lots.

> I suppose then, these would not be acceptable for my application

You'd have to try them.  The situations where they failed for me might
not apply to you.  For instance, my old favorite (one called "cp")
crashes NitrOS.  :-( It was rock solid under OS-9, though.  I also had
problems with such programs when I had a hard drive with a 2-sector
cluster size.

> I hope the first  thing I said on this post explained it.

Yes, you cleared up what you need.  I was having horrid thoughts that
you needed to automatically copy the ramdisk files back onto floppy on
a reset, or other horribly complicated things.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
   --- Yacko