[Coco] Stupid Cassette Port Tricks,

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue Jan 29 00:57:14 EST 2008

Mike Pepe wrote:
> Joel,
>
> Interesting you mention these things. Yes, the cassette-over-phone
> thing was pretty neat. It was lot faster than modems would have been
> if we had them. Of course it's completely half-duplex, and there's no
> error correction other than to start over. But much to our amazement
> it did work.
>
> Now- a cassette crossover cable is entirely possible. Due to the level
> mismatch between the in and out sides of the equation, there needs to
> be a little circuitry between the two. Just connecting in-to-out and
> vice versa won't usually work since the output signal is a lot smaller
> than what the input side is expecting. Somewhere I have a circuit that
> does some sort of equalization. I think it was all passives, just some
> caps and resistors, but I could be remembering it wrong.

I'd love to see this circuit if you can dig it up.  This may address the
other problem I encountered when trying to use an .MP3 player as a
solid-state, USB mass-storage device for the CoCo.  The one I was using
also has a digital recording function, which I naturally tried to use.
But the levels were way off.  I loaded up the resulting WAV file in
Audacity, but signal/noise rendered it useless by the time I had
amplified it to a suitable level.  So I figured I needed some kind of
pre-amp.  But I'm still intrigued by the idea of a tiny flash-based
digital record/playback unit that can easily back CoCo files up onto a
PC, and I'd still like to make it work properly.  If I have to hack it
up and add a pre-amp circuit, I might end up trying to do something
funky with it like housing the whole thing in an old cassette case.

JCE