[Coco] Stupid Cassette Port Tricks, (was: Re: Coco and .WAV files)

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Jan 28 23:31:10 EST 2008

That's a pretty cool use for the cassette port, Mike.  I'm sure others
have done, or at least thought of this before, but how well would it
work (aside from being slow) to csave/cload between two CoCos using a
null-cassette cable?  I guess if it can be done over a phone line, it
should be doable with just a cable.  I guess one issue is that with a
real cassette player the CoCo can pause the cassette motor, but it
wouldn't be able to pause another CoCo.  For simple, single program
files, this isn't critical, but some programs pause and restart the
cassette while loading, and if the data doesn't pause the program load
fails.  I found that out trying to load "The Glove" from an .MP3
player.  I'd like to get another cheap one that I can hack up, allowing
the CoCo to control the Pause/Play button with the motor relay.

Other than that, why shouldn't it work with a suitable cassette
crossover cable?  I have more CoCos than mass storage units.  The
cassette port could make a serviceable ultra-cheap, low-speed CoCo network.

JCE