[Coco] Coco and .WAV files

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Mon Jan 28 15:03:26 EST 2008

Kish Tailor wrote:
> MP3 files will not work for computer programs. I tested this method on
> various computer systems. It degrades the quality.
>
> I have found that if you use 11 khz to record a .wav, it will work and
> also reduce your file size.

I haven't done this myself, but I have my doubts, given several members
of this group have successfully loaded compressed cassette images off of
ipods and other such devices.

Yes, mp3 does compress and "degrade" the original source, but given that
we're trying to reproduce 2.4Khz bandwidth 6-bit sine waves, unless you
compressed the mp3 down to next to nothing, it should work just fine. I
wouldn't consider the CoCo cassette input audiophile quality, and not
using oxygen-free cassette cables and tin plated plugs seemed to work
just fine :)

hell, I even csaved a program to my friend across town over a phone call
  with a suitably hacked up set of telephones

The only thing I can think of that might cause issues is if the mp3
compression used causes audio artifacts that would confuse the
zero-crossing detector.