[Coco] curses, foiled yet againRe: Virtual Memory in OS-9

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jan 23 17:32:42 EST 2008

On Wednesday 23 January 2008, William Schaub wrote:
>Willard Goosey wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 01:47:47PM +1000, Bob Devries wrote:
>>> The source code of curses.c contains the following:
>>>
>>> /*-------------------------------------------------------*
>>> * CURSES.C: Copyright (c) 1987, Allen I. Holub. *
>>> * All rights reserved. *
>>> *-------------------------------------------------------*
>>> * *
>>> * Adapted for OS9 from an article in DDJ 7/87. *
>>> * R. Waggoner *
>>> * *
>>> *-------------------------------------------------------*
>>>
>>> If someone knows the whereabouts of Mr. Waggoner, maybe we can consult
>>> him?
>>
>> We did make some progress on this the last time it came up.  We
>> determined that the source had tab characters (which is "move the
>> cursor up one line" in windint terminal escapes), that the last line
>> of the file didn't end in a newline (a major pain to fix under OS-9)
>> and, IIRC, there was a end-of-line problem (I think it was a dos text
>> file?)
>>
>> Once all that easy stuff got fixed, though, it just sorta got
>> dropped.
>>
>> I haven't had the time to mess with it.  I guess no one else has,
>> either.  It may be running up against some of the subtler bugs in the
>> C complier, so ansifront might help.
>>
>> Willard
>
>What is ansifront? I'm guessing its either a replacement for pass 1 of
>the compiler or it translates ansi C source into K&R C sources. is this
>an os9 program available on rtsi or something I can run under
>Solaris,Linux,whatever?

ansifront is a utility that processes the data stream between c.prep(version
19, see on rtsi) and c.pass1 or c.comp.  It converts the code stream on the
fly so that a voidless compiler see's only int's, and a few other such
compatibility things. Version .12 of it is the last, and it seems to work
quit well.  The various CC's about are generally scripts, and modifying them
to include ansifront, or c-opt2 or CnoY, all of which can further optimize
the code.