[Coco] Virtual Memory in OS-9

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Tue Jan 22 22:20:32 EST 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 02:59:27PM -0500, William Schaub wrote:

>if the operating system has calls for allocating more memory to a
>process, or if everything has to have memory allocated statically.

No, you can brk() for more memory.  If that's not suffiencent, there
are ways to manually allocate more memory blocks, but then switching
between them becomes your problem.

> Also I really want to know if it's possible to execute programs that use
> more memory than is physically installed by paging to mass storage of
> some sort.

The Pascal compiler has a swapping p-code interpeter, otherwise, nope.

> It would be very nice if something similar to the UNIX mmap() system
> call is available.

Nope.

> I saw a lot of unix tool ports on the rtsi archive so it cant be too
> bad.  But I'm wondering if theres a way to make curses apps run on OS-9

The curses library on rtsi is source-only and no one (that I know of)
has been able to get it to compile.  My personal opinion is that the
guy accidently uploaded the MS-DOS source he started with, not the
finished port. :-(

> does the OS-9 console emulate any particular type of terminal? (one that
> implements escapes for character attributes, cursor movement and such)

Yep.  Even the graphics can be completely controlled by
escape-sequences.  That's how the cgfx library (docs are in the
multivue manual) works.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA