[Coco] Virtual Memory in OS-9

William Schaub wschaub at steubentech.com
Tue Jan 22 16:46:58 EST 2008

Bob Devries wrote:
> William said:
>> I just wanted to ask if the operating system has calls for allocating
>> more memory to a process, or if everything has to have memory
>> allocated statically.
>
> There are system calls to allocate more memory in OS-9.
> The OS-9 system manuals (level 2) are available in PDF form online.
> Try ftp.clubltdstudios.com/coco/downunder/OS9/

Are there any surviving level 1 docs someplace?
>> Also I really want to know if it's possible to execute programs that
>> use more memory than is physically installed by paging to mass
>> storage of some sort.
>> It would be very nice if something similar to the UNIX mmap() system
>> call is available.
>
> This would require extensive changes/additions to the stock OS-9. Even
> Nitros9 would need much change. Not saying it isn't possible, but...

I'm mainly interested in NitrOS9 I'm looking through the sourceforge
trees and wondering
what tools are needed to compile it as I might be interested in
monkeying around with the internals a bit. From looking at the docs
there appears to be a way to map blocks of memory outside the process
address space into the process address space. I wonder if a system could
be setup where theres a paging file  and gets paged into and out of a
buffer that can be mapped into a processes address space. Only problem
with that is I'm not sure if there is any way possible to produce page
faults to drive the pager I think a VM system like I'm used to requires
a bit more hardware than the coco has availabe.

>> I plan on starting out with the OS-9 C compiler as it looks like it
>> has a lot of UNIX compat stuff in it. I would like to see just how
>> much of a UNIX like environment I could re-create on OS-9
>
> The European OS9 usergroup once produces a work called TOP -- The OS9
> Project. While this was, I believe based around OS9/68000, it was
> designed to give a UNIX-ish feel to OS9.
>
>> I saw a lot of unix tool ports on the rtsi archive so it cant be too
>> bad. But I'm wondering if theres a way to make curses apps run on
>> OS-9 does the OS-9 console emulate any particular type of terminal?
>> (one that implements escapes for character attributes, cursor
>> movement and such) at the worst I could always hang a real terminal
>> off of an RS232 port.
>
> There is a curses port for OS-9/6809, but I've had mixed reports as to
> whether it works or not. The codes used by OS-9 for screen/keyboard
> are documented in the manuals.

I'm guessing that the same codes work between level 1 and 2. I hope the
curses port is still around someplace.