[Coco] Virtual Memory in OS-9

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 22 16:46:38 EST 2008

On Tuesday 22 January 2008, Bob Devries wrote:
>William said:
>>I just wanted to ask if the operating system has calls for allocating more
>>memory to a process, or if everything has to have memory allocated
>>statically.
>
>There are system calls to allocate more memory in OS-9.
>The OS-9 system manuals (level 2) are available in PDF form online. Try
>ftp.clubltdstudios.com/coco/downunder/OS9/
>
>> Also I really want to know if it's possible to execute programs that use
>> more memory than is physically installed by paging to mass storage of some
>> sort.
>> It would be very nice if something similar to the UNIX mmap() system call
>> is available.
>
>This would require extensive changes/additions to the stock OS-9. Even
>Nitros9 would need much change. Not saying it isn't possible, but...

Changes in the os?  No, the calls to map the ram are there and I used them
extensively in 'myram', a ramdisk I wrote a decade or so back, and which
could make a ramdisk out of almost every spare byte in the machine, tested to
as much as 1.8 megabytes of ramdisk on a 2 megabyte machine.  That code might
make a good tutorial about how to do at least that part of the memory
shuffling.  I put it on rtsi quite some time ago.

Changes in the compiler or assembler?  Yes, fairly major surgery, because the
compiler or assembler would have to have knowledge of what block was mapped
where on a dynamic basis as it followed the code to build the application.
Otherwise it could not know what/where the target address of the next branch
or jump that crossed an 8k block boundary would be when it fills in those
addresses in without that knowledge.

Larger than 48k or so programs are probably best done by calling a separate
shell to exec the next piece of it, using one always present supervisory
module that all other modules returned to when their work was finished.  If
return values were needed, then again its a matter of mapping a shared block
to both modules that contains the data structures.

This I believe has already been done by some of the game authors such as Steve
Bjork, and maybe by John (sockmaster) Kowalski.  Maybe Roger is doing it too,
but he hasn't said so in so many words.

One _could_ page to disk, and with a fast disk it wouldn't be to much slower
than pageing ram around once the supervisory module has preloaded the
available ram using the same methods I used in myram.  Data speeds in and out
of a fast disk, or i/o to myram, are both in the 11 seconds a megabyte range
as that is as fast as the coco3 can move data anyway.