[Coco] Behold... Jewels progress...

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon Jan 21 22:58:51 EST 2008

At 09:05 PM 1/21/2008, you wrote:
>From: "Roger Taylor"
>>Thanks to P-3, LOADM, the GIME, and the Rainbow IDE, here is 3
>>partial days of work on my new game called Jeweled.
>>
>>http://www.coco3.com/img/jeweledtest.jpg
>>
>>A single .bin file contains everything.  Next, a cool MP3 jam will
>>be converted down to raw samples, compressed down, and optionally
>>played like the real Bejeweled game.
>
>This could be fun. I liked Bejeweled on a PC and it did pass some
>time during quiet times at work. I sure the coco could do much the same thing.
>
>A Coco game that was one of my favorites was Popcorn! Believe it or
>not. I loved the way it worked. It adapted to my ability and the
>joystick operation was very elegant.
>
>It amazed me how the joystick would handled precision movements and
>rapid movements would get the paddle across the screen. I'm sure
>there was a LOT of math involve in this trick. It was like a high
>resolution joystick, but without the HiRes.

In my unreleased oldie which I have renamed about 5 times since 1990,
an audio studio for the CoCo 3, I take half-steps from the last mouse
position to the current position up until a distance of 2 to 4 or so
then I update both the same.  This makes for a smooth moving cursor
that has a professional feel to it.  The math is terribly simple and
done by some bit shifting.

Jeweled will have the same hand cursor and smooth joystick/mouse
movement.  In my screenshot you can see my failed attempt at plotting
the hand sprite for the cursor.  It appears as a vertical bar 7
columns across and 5 rows down.  And it's flickering terribly which
means I haven't gotten that far with it yet.