[Coco] CoCo 3 MMU test for all

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Jan 21 09:03:23 EST 2008

On 20 Jan 2008 at 23:13, Roger Taylor wrote:

> >The darndest thing that the Coco manuals ever did was to do
> >everything in decimal.
>
> There was a reason for that.  Before learning to program you first
> think of numbers only in base 10, the human way of thinking.  And I
> don't go in a store and hand them a $19 cent piece (a quarter).  It's
> 25 cents if I reference it as #25 in my source code.  Addresses,
> sure... use Hex.  Doing bitshifting... use binary so you can better
> visualize what's going to happen after a rotate or logical shift.  If
> you shift $F to the right and get $7, you have to think about that the
> same as with shifting #15 into #7.

Yes it is easier for a person to think decimal as we are taught decimal from
the earliest stages of our education. Our world is decimal in how we deal
with money and other items. When I spent a week in Ireland it took me only
about a day to become familiar with their currency. It to was based on a
decimal system but used different denominations. In their decimal money
system there was a two cent piece and no 25 cent piece.

Decimal in the Tandy manuals was far easier to explain comuter operation
to those w ho knew little or nothing than to try and do a manual that was
entirely in  hex.

james