[Coco] CoCo 3 MMU test for all

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon Jan 21 00:13:22 EST 2008

At 09:45 PM 1/20/2008, you wrote:
>On 20 Jan 2008 at 21:27, Mark Marlette wrote:
>
> > Robert/Roger,
> >
> > See when Robert explains it in hex, you hardly even have to think
> > about it.
> >
> > Curtis did the same and they are correct and EASY to read and think
> > about.
> >
> > Take their advise and mine, switch to hex. You'll have a much better
> > chance of retaining this because it will make sense.
> >
> > Mark
> > Cloud-9
>
>Mark
>
>Twice in one night maybe historic. I have to agree. Think hex. Learn hex. It
>will make life easier when it comes to computer software and hardware.

Not entirely true, my friend.  Once a coder becomes an expert with
translating between hex/decimal/binary in his head with a snap of the
finger, it makes things easier to produce when he uses the different
number bases where they are desired.

>The darndest thing that the Coco manuals ever did was to do everything in
>decimal.

There was a reason for that.  Before learning to program you first
think of numbers only in base 10, the human way of thinking.  And I
don't go in a store and hand them a $19 cent piece (a quarter).  It's
25 cents if I reference it as #25 in my source code.  Addresses,
sure... use Hex.  Doing bitshifting... use binary so you can better
visualize what's going to happen after a rotate or logical shift.  If
you shift $F to the right and get $7, you have to think about that
the same as with shifting #15 into #7.

Anyway, it's about bed time.  Yawn.  ;)