[Coco] Bejeweled, for the CoCo 3?

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sun Jan 20 17:46:32 EST 2008

From: Roger Taylor <operator at coco3.com>
> At 10:48 AM 1/20/2008, you wrote:
> >Roger, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but writing or building
> >anything for the CoCo and expecting much of a return is ludicrous.
> >It's a small community or mostly hackers, not many users/gamers. If
> >you expect to make money off the CoCo you may as well pack up the
> >site and go on to something else. I'd hate to see that, you have one
> >of the best CoCo sites out there. You'd be better off asking for
> >donations to pay for the server and offering to send a "free" game
> >in return for a certain size donation than selling the games and
> >expecting a return.
> >Like my AMC car hobby, the CoCo is something that you have to
> >support as a labor of love, and you might be able to break even if
> >you're lucky. Even the guys at Cloud-9 don't make a lot of profit,
> >and if they had to count their R&D and assembly time as well as
> >other overhead (home office, the little extra on the power bill,
> >etc.,) at going rates, they're losing money.
>
> If anyone knows about supporting the CoCo as a labor of love, it's me.   ;)

And I've owned a few AMC cars.  The current Hornet and Gremlin are sitting dead in the back yard and not even the local scrappers think the metal is worth enough to tow them down the hill.  (Let's not even talk about Javelins -- as a pump jockey way backalong I determined I'd never touch one unless I was being paid good bucks).

AMC cars are like TI computers -- something a wife or an ex-wife likes and I'll let her deal with it.  My hobby (and it's only a hobby) is old Radio Shack computers, the ones I grew up with during my twenties when I was fresh out of the USAF.  Since during that decade I spent a few years doing tech support at various RSCCs, I became fond of the Mod 1-3-4 series, the Mod 2-16-12-6k series and the Color Computer line.  Also got a few Mod 100s.  Got no truck with the PC compatibles (1000, 1200 and so on) though I still think the T-2000 had a killer keyboard, second only to the one on the AT&T Unix PC revised version.  (Got a couple of them too and spent a year and a half at the Convergent campus where they were designed but I was there several years later, after Convergent had been absorbed by Unisys -- lots of 7300 and 3B1 machines still kicking around the place).

Remember, kids -- at this point in history and our lives, _It's Only a Hobby_.  There is a small amount of money to be made, but it ain't gonna make anybody a financial peer of Bill Gates.  We're here for the love of the game.  The joy of discovering something that nobody would have imagined the machine could do a quarter of a century ago or else just remembering when we were young, dumb and full of cum (a phrase I learned from a USAF basic training instructor a few decades back and I apologize if anybody is offended).
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

Well, if you're gonna buy a ticket on the Titanic, you might as well go First Class.

Captain Audie Murphy, Texas Ranger, in _Roswell, Texas_ by L. Neil Smith, Rex May and Scott Bieser.
http://www.bigheadpress.com/roswell/