[Coco] A faster "Real" CoCo Re: General Memory Question about speed

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Jan 14 18:59:31 EST 2008

On 14 Jan 2008 at 16:38, Dave R in Illinois wrote:

> Would this project be based around this?
>
> http://members.optushome.com.au/jekent/FPGA.htm
>

> Being a CoCo enthusiast I would like to help this project in any way
> possible. By no means am I a good programmer, but I can help possibly
> with the hardware aspect of this project. Please let me know how I can
> become involved in this project.  I notice you said " the fest" this
> spring, I happen to live local to where it is to be held, and will
> most definitely be attending.
>

> Dave

Yes one could be based on that. There are several hurdles to overcome in
doing so. One would be do we base it on a given FPGA development board
or go for a dedicated board something like the C-One. A develiopemnt
board will be in the $150 to $250 range. A dedicated board fully populated
will be in the $250 to $350 range. All costs for a dedicated board is purely
speculative as it depends on how many one can sell.

Still the cheapest way to a faster Coco is through emulation on a PC. It
though is not without its disadvantages. A dedicated board will require the
efforts of more than one person if a reasonable time frame is to be met.

james