[Coco] A faster "Real" CoCo Re: General Memory Question about speed

Dave R in Illinois lazyhand at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 14 17:38:17 EST 2008

Dave wrote:

>Would upgrading the memory in a Coco 2 from 20ns to 10ns provide a

>noticeable difference in speed?

>As many (well, more than many) people pointed out that faster memory
>would not speed up a CoCo. One point that did not point out that
>some fast memory also needs a faster refresh cycle. So, too fast of
>memory could be a bad thing.

>But how do you get a faster CoCo?

>Many of you know that I've working on a V.R. CoCo 4 project. The
>idea was to use a PC to create the next generation of the Color
>Computer in Virtual Reality by using an emulator. While some work
>has been done on the project, it's still in the design stage.

>But this is only phase one of the project. The next phase was to
>remove the V.R. part of the of the V.R. CoCo 4 project by building it
>in real hardware. The key is to replace the 6809 with a
>field-programmable gate array (FPGA) and the remaining logic
>including the GIME, SALT and the new V.R. hardware in another FPGA
>chip. This would keep the remaining support hardware (RAM and ROM
>memory, analog ...) to a minimum and all would fit on an easy to
>build PC board.

>What could this new CoCo do? How about run many times faster. We
>have scene a "CoCo on a FPGA" run many times faster. Why stop
>there? Put a full 6309 with even more improvements. In the other
>FPGA would be a DMA controller for high speed transfers between the
>memory and your 32 GB USB flash drive. (Yes, they do make 32 GB
>flash drives.) Just think how fast your programs would load!

>What about all your old hardware and software? Well the hardware
>version of the new CoCo 4 would have a legacy 40 pin port to plug
>your old hardware into. As for the software, the CoCo 4 has boot-up
>modes control by selector switches. (Some of the modes are CoCo 1/2,
>CoCo 3, CoCo 3 enhanced and CoCo 4 with selections for overall speed.)

>Hopefully, we can start moving forward again on the V.R. CoCo project
>at the next "fest" this spring.

>Steve (Zaxxon) Bjork

Would this project be based around this?

http://members.optushome.com.au/jekent/FPGA.htm

Being a CoCo enthusiast I would like to help this project in any way
possible. By no means am I a good programmer, but I can help possibly with
the hardware aspect of this project. Please let me know how I can become
involved in this project.  I notice you said " the fest" this spring, I
happen to live local to where it is to be held, and will most definitely be
attending.

Dave