[Coco] Another game porting idea: Street Rod and Street Rod 2

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jan 14 16:00:54 EST 2008

On Monday 14 January 2008, John Guin wrote:
>Does anyone have a recommendation for a compiler to use for porting older C
>code (like SimCity, or Street Rod if it could be found) to the Coco?
>
>I assume a Coco 3 would be required for more than 4 color support, and would
>help minimize screen size difference from the other 8 bit machines.
>
>But other than the Microware Compiler for OS9, I don't know what is
>available today.  I remember a GCC project, but last I saw of it, it had
>been abandoned.
>
>Can anyone suggest a solution?
>
>John

The MicroWare os9 compiler, with a few additions as below, can generally
handle quite a bit of the more modern code with void's etc.

1. cprep-19 to replace c.prep, it handles much bigger src code files.
2. Ansifront-0.12
3. c.opt2
4. for coco3's only, CnoY
5 Most any of the later CC or make utilities, as most of them can be edited to
match your drive setups.
6. A 512k or 2 meg memory kit is handy as it lets you use a ramdisk for the
intermediate files although if you have a hard drive, there probably isn't
going to be a noticeable speed advantage.  I've used it just because its
there.