[Coco] Duplicating Copy-Protected Games (Z-89) (Was: Coco Digest, Vol 55, Issue 22)

Mon Jan 14 01:19:28 EST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008, at 10:16 PM, Steve Bjork wrote:

> You are right about the my games not being released to public
> domain.  But there is more to clarify on the subject.
>
> First of all, I continue to sell and especially support all of my
> games.
> As for making any money, what funds raised by a few games sales
> offset the cost in supporting them. (Mostly mailing cost.)

It's good to hear that your games are still "in play", Steve--I had no
idea you were still actively selling them.  I'm certainly interested
in acquiring Z-89.  It's one of a number of games I was interested in
getting back in the day, but the paper route money only went so
far.  :-)

Yes, there is strict legislation in place regarding the rights of
various media, software included.  Such legislation can be very hard
to live by, however.  How many of us have acquired duplicates of CoCo
software, software from original purchased tapes or disks, because the
media was failing/defective (ahem, crappy Datasoft Zaxxon cassettes,
ahem) or we moved on to new and better storage devices (cassettes to
floppy disks to hard drives)?

How many of your CoCo games do you retain the rights to, Steve?  Some
of your early games were created for Datasoft (e.g. Megabug) or were
team efforts (e.g. Sands of Egypt).

JP