[Coco] Mary demo

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 9 19:19:28 EST 2008

Roger Taylor wrote:

> Ok, folks, with testers hard to come by at the rate I'm trying to finish
> this game, I've released a demo that plays by itself to give you an
> example.
>
> Mary and the Butterflies
>
> http://www.coco3.com/downloads/marydemo1.bin
>
> http://www.coco3.com/downloads/marydemo1.dsk
>
> Those with the VCC emulator can just click on the .bin file from Windows
> and it will start right into the game.  I urge you to try this on your
> real CoCo 3, any kind of setup, and give feedback.  I'm adding joystick
> support at this time.
>
> Thanks, and enjoy.

Far as the colors go, they are the same on 60Hz composite and RGB. A
slight amount of tint, color, and brightness tweaking was needed but
that is typical. There is no flashing or screen glitching. The sound is
pretty good but if Mary is yelling when stung that does not come through
  as a voice but a strange sound.

I did notice a problem with sprite crashing that was slight on RGB but
quite noticeable on composite. When Mary runs past a tree, the green of
the leaves and the pink of her dress turn into orange with some black
edging. That does not seem to happen with the bees and butterflies but
they mostly bounce off the trees anyway. Mary is definitely transparent
rather than solid.

Looks like a great family game!