[Coco] joystick plus real-time sound?

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Wed Jan 9 18:50:41 EST 2008

Folks,

If I'm not mistaken, there is no way on a CoCo to poll the joystick
while doing real-time audio without introducing interference.  The
same DAC is used to output the 6-bit sound and set the voltage for
the joystick axis comparitors.

When you set up the PIA to sample the joystick axis, I think a pop or
click sound is introduced if the mode was in 6-bit sound mode.  Doing
this frequently back and forth scares me with the
thought.  :)  Ofcourse, on an emulator it probably doesn't do this.

I could be wrong, but I think this is why I made my Spider-Hype games
use only the keyboard.  I guess having real time music and sound
effects has a cost.