[Coco] Copying a data/binary file from disk to cassette

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 4 23:52:14 EST 2008

Phil wrote:
> Robert Gault wrote:
>
>> If you don't want to acquire to knowledge to do this, you can download
>> from my site the program mlfinder which will do the work for you.
>> http://home.att.net/~robert.gault/Coco/Downloads/Downloads.htm
>

> Robert, thanks for this great little program -- I've used it to analyze
> a file that had some odd (possibly corrupt?) stuff at the end that was
> throwing me for a loop when I opened it in a hex editor.  I assume that
> "XFER" is the execution address.
>
> And, on a related note, I assume if I'm getting multiple "LOAD:"
> addresses, that the .bin file has multiple data blocks.  Does that mean
> that outputting it via the cassette port will be impossible? In the case
> of the program I'm looking at (Marble Maze), the additional data block
> indicated is only 16 bytes long, resides right before the postamble, and
> appears to load from $009F to $00AE. Should this give me any hints as to
> its function?
>
> Marble Maze also autostarts, which further complicates any attempts to
> CSAVEM it, though I suppose I could LOADM it into &H3000 and CSAVEM from
> there as you suggested earlier.
>
> All the best,
> Phil

Tape does not provide a method for multiple origin saves or loads. The
original EDTASM (a tape product) probably permitted multiple origins,
but the CSAVEM does not.

In short, it means there aren't good automatic methods for converting
many disk programs to tape without significant user intervention.