[Coco] Copying a data/binary file from disk to cassette

Phil phil.salathe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 01:00:58 EST 2008

Tim wrote:

>Makewav is for making executable cassette files. Not binary data files.

Right, that's what I thought -- I guess I must've said something that
made it seem otherwise, then?  I was trying to use makewav to turn
.bin files into .wav files readable by MESS.

>  > By the way, what number format is makewav expecting to see for the -d
>>  and -e switches?
>
>In the inline help for the command I have this at the end:
>
>For <val> use 0x prefix for hex, 0 prefix for octal and no prefix for
>decimal.

Aha.  As it turns out, then, I was giving it the wrong prefix for hex
($).  It wasn't throwing up an error, though -- did it just ignore
the dollar sign?

>  > And how do you figure out where an executable .bin
>  > loads into memory?
>
>I gave a very detialed explaination to this in the USENET post link I
>gave earlier:

Ah, somehow that didn't click the first time, thank you!  And I'm
looking at it now, and looking at my copy of DOWNLAND.BIN through a
hex editor, and it's all making a lot of sense.  It's 8231 bytes
long, the data block length is 0x201D which matches perfectly minus
the five header bytes at each end.  TREKBOER.BIN matches up too,
excellent.  Now off to try the appropriate CSAVEM and see if things
work!

Thanks so much for your patience, Tim, I appreciate it greatly.

All the best,
Phil