[Coco] Copying a data/binary file from disk to cassette

Phil phil.salathe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 00:41:22 EST 2008

Robert Gault wrote:

>About your only option using Basic would be CSAVEM which will dump
>data to cassette without making any changes. So, the disk data file
>will need to be opened and stored into known memory. Let's say for
>example, you POKE the data into memory starting at $3000 and
>continue to the end of the file. Then you
>CSAVEM"name",&H3000,&H3000+length,0. To use the data, you would
>CLOADM"name" and process the data stored at $3000.

This was actually my original plan, but when I'm dealing with a .bin
that I've just LOADMed into memory without qualifiers, I don't know
how to ascertain the right start and execution points (which is why I
was hoping to avoid the whole thing by doing a straight copy).  For
instance, I have a .bin of Downland* that runs fine in emulation with
a straight LOADM "DOWNLAND.BIN", but I don't know what I'd need to
dump, post-LOADM, into my CSAVEM.  Is there a reliable way of finding
that out?  Surely there must be something in the headers that tells
LOADM where to put things, no?

Best,
Phil

*a program I actually do own on cart, though I have no idea where it went to!