[Coco] [Color Computer] I wish

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu Jan 3 23:49:23 EST 2008

wdg3rd at comcast.net wrote:
> Jeez, just looked at the one picture before, hadn't read the description.  Level One BASIC, 4k RAM.  Those puppies are hen's teeth, since we all upgraded way back.  I wish I saw it in time and could have afforded it.  Level One (AKA Palo Alto Tiny BASIC) can be fun to play with.

This brings up a question:  is a downgraded computer as rare as one that
has not been upgraded, presuming all other condition issues are the
same, and the machine can be brought back to its original, pre-upgrade
state?  Not that it is of equal rarity or potential value, but I think I
still have a tube with the 4K RAM chips out of my first CoCo.  If I yank
the 64K chips, de-solder the upgrade jumpers, and pull the ECB ROM, have
I made it into a 4K CoCo again for ePay purposes?  (Then there's the
matter of the CoCo 3 keyboard I've put in there and the holes I drilled
in the case back when I mounted a floppy drive on top (no, I'm not quite
sure why I did that either...), but you get my point.)  I guess in the
case of the Model I the Level I ROM was a completely different version
of BASIC, not just the first of a potential pair, so that makes it a
little different.

JCE