[Coco] [Color Computer] I wish

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Thu Jan 3 22:36:55 EST 2008

That's not a Color Computer, that's a Z-80 based Model One (though it wasn't called the Mod 1 when I first got involved, until the Model 2 arrived in July '79, it was just the TRS-80).

Yes, there is one in my basement next to at least one of every significant version of Color Computer except the MC-10 (didn't take it serious then, don't take it serious now) and a Mod 2 and a T6k (plus a few Mod 100 notebooks).  (They all work, except the T6kHD is giving me HD errors lately, and I gotta fix that and really hope it's the HD that I can replace and nut the controller which I can't replace and am not competent to fix).

Yeah, I seem to acquire old Radio Shack machines.  (Several came from the curb).  They're what I grew up with back when I was fresh out of the USAF (and then spent a few years doing teaching and tech support at various RSCCs in the southwest).  While Xenix was my specialty, I assembled the first multi-user OS-9 system in Los Angeles using OS-9 Level One with a 64k Coco, a 16k Coco with Vidtex, one floppy drive and a hand-spliced DIN null-modem cable.  (I read the OS-9 manual.  Some of the commands implied multi-user capability.  I tried it.  It worked.  Not real fast, and typing on the terminal while the main machine was reading the floppy tended to drop characters, but it worked.  As I recall, prices on sale the week I built the setup, was (assuming you already owned two TV sets, generally a safe bet in 1983) was $1,000.87 including California+Los Angeles sales tax.  A fraction of the cost of a Xenix system.

If anybody has a T2k laying around, that will complete my collection.  Yes, I used to have one, but like Poor Richard said "three removes equal one fire" and I've moved more than three times.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

Well, if you're gonna buy a ticket on the Titanic, you might as well go First Class.

Captain Audie Murphy, Texas Ranger, in _Roswell, Texas_ by L. Neil Smith, Rex May and Scott Bieser.
http://www.bigheadpress.com/roswell/

From: chargeron <chargeron at cox.net>