[Coco] Coco Digest, Vol 55, Issue 13

carl j england mrspock12 at juno.com
Mon Jan 7 18:57:33 EST 2008

> Message: 8
> Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:01:33 -0500
> From: Ghislain Harvey <ghislainharvey at videotron.ca>
> Subject: Re: [Coco] Is there any disk utility that allow
> to        copy
>         selected        track        only?
> To: 'CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts'
> <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>
> Thanks for all those valuable information you gave me.
> The only problem left for me is that for a unknown reason I can't
> recreate
> it on a real coco. It freeze when formatting track0.
> Maybe I do not copy correctly the DSK image to the real coco disk.
> Even with keil emulator , I am unable to recreate the disk.
> Maybe there is something wrong with the defeater.
> Ghislain

The Defeater will copy "Z-89", but it takes patience

tracks 0 and 33 both contain data that is written directly to the track
without any sectors.
tracks 1 thru 25 eack contain 9 sectors of 512k bytes each.  the problem
is that sectors numbered 16, 17, 18, 19 are duplicated on side 0 but
claim to be on side 1 also.  sector 1a only claims to be on side 0.
(i think The Defeater has a "feature" (ok--call it a bug!) that displays
the track and sector numbers in hex, but must be entered in decimal
(could be wrong about this--been a while since using The Defeater))

the decimal values of the sectors in question would be 22 side 0, 22 side
1, 23 side 0, 23 side 1, 24 side 0, 24 side 1, 25 side 0, 25 side 1, 26
side 0.

the sectors will have to be copied for all tracks (1-25)

you can't use any "normal" disk basic utilities to copy the sectors
because the coco doesn't "normally" check the "side" information so there
would be no way to ensure that the correct data was written to the
correct sectors (on those that are duplicated).

this is not a difficult disk to copy--but it does take time and patience.

carl